Thursday, July 8, 2010

I'm craving the deep blue sea

I know there something almost shameful about sun and sand vacations these days, at least in certain circles. These days it's trendier to visit places like India or Africa. It's almost regarded as intellectually retarded to want to spend your holiday on a beach. It's more noble to visit some place full of history, and walk up and down narrow streets in search of historical landmarks. And although there's a lot to be said for this type of vacation, I'm not ashamed to admit that my favourite type of vacation has always been and always will be on the beach. Literally on the beach. Last year I went to Greece for a week and stayed in a hotel that was located 50 meters from the ocean, and I loved every minute of it. Well, the only snag was that there was always such strong currents that you weren't allowed to swim most days.
I've backpacked through Europe and have done my share of walking around cities on narrow, dirty streets, and as interesting as may be, it's not really what I consider relaxation and time to contemplate. It's not my thing. My thing is living right on the beach where I can smell, see and hear the ocean all the time. For me there's something magical about the ocean. I'm not bored spending the whole day at the beach as long as I have a book, a parasol and something cold to drink. When we got hungry on the beach in Greece, we could easily walk to one of the marvelous restaurants close by and get a couple of stuffed pitas and some cold beer. It doesn't get much better than that in my opinion. Sitting under a parasol right in front of the water with a pita stuffed with grilled chicken, juicy Greek tomatoes and tzatziki sauce and a cold beer, and just watching the waves come crashing in. As long as every day isn't the same I'm good. As long as there are other things to vary the beach with, such as exploring the scenery or taking a boat ride somewhere.
I'm feeling nostalgic about last year's trip right now because it's summer and what I really want is to be by the sea, and preferably where the is sun too. I'd even settle for going to Turkey as long as it meant some beach time.

No comments: