Sunday, July 11, 2010

My period gives me super strength

I always thought it was the other way around, that when my old friend comes a-calling I should move as little as possible. Shouldn't I be, as ladies were in the Victorian era, overcome with the vapors and swoon against a couch? No, not so. Well, if I have really bad cramps I do prefer to take a painkiller and lay down until it seizes, but if I feel relatively okay I actually feel better than I do during my non-period days. I just came from working out and I can tell you, I have so much more strength than I normally do it's amazing. I could jog on the treadmill at a much higher speed than usual and what's more I could consistently keep that speed without getting tired. When it came time for some strength training I was also more energetic than normal. No cramps whatsoever. I have heard that the best time to work out is during your period because for some reason it's more effective during that time, but I didn't know that you also have more strength. Why is this? It's not like this during PMS when I'm cranky and more fatigued. You would think that I would be at my peak then when I have all that angst to take out.
The before stage is by far the worst part of the whole cycle. I hate it when my stomach and boobs start hurting and swelling and my mood is volatile at best and I look like a beached whale.
No, the best part of the month is actually during the period. I feel like I could lift a car.
There's an added bonus too. Since men find feminine hygiene products more threatening than a riled-up rattlesnake, I have something to tease my partner with for 5 days. Doesn't matter how little blood is on it, it gives them the hebe-jeebes every time. Naturally I can't speak for all men, but I know that mine finds them incredibly offensive and cringes at the sight of them. I think that men should experience having their period just once, maybe then they wouldn't be so adverse to buying sanitary pads at the grocery store. I know that there are plenty of men out there who don't find this a big deal at all but mine isn't one of them. He'll do it alright, but he usually gripes a little bit about it, "I don't know what you want!" and will sometimes call me from the store to ask something like "You want those ultra thin ones with wings or the thicker ones???"
I have to give him credit for the effort, although I do think he might be more at ease if I asked him to buy me wart remover or hemorrhoid cream.

No comments: