Sunday, April 11, 2010

Bloody Sundays!

There is just no way to have a thoroughly pleasant Sunday. Even when there is no work on Monday, there is something gloomy and slightly stressful about Sundays. The weekend more or less consists of Friday evening and Saturday. Sunday is for anticipating the coming of Monday. It doesn't matter how I try to relax, or how much fun activity I attempt to pack into the day, the knowledge that it's Sunday is always lurking somewhere in the dark, muddy pit called my mind. It's psychological. Even if Monday is a statutory holiday, I will still go into the Sunday state of mind.

The Sunday state of mind is ingrained in our brains. It started in childhood when we had to get up to go to school on Monday morning.
Presently, the facts are:

I have to sometime during Sunday prepare for Monday, if I am teaching. I could use any day of the week to do this, and sometimes I do, but for the most part I procrastinate until Sunday.

If I need to get up early, I will begin to fret about it around dinner time on Sunday. I will abstain from things such as coffee and tea, out of fear of not being able to go to sleep. Setting the alarm clock is a must, and a source of agony. In the true style of the neurotic fretter, I have to check the alarm several times before I am assured that the damn thing is actually set and working. Even then I still worry about oversleeping. This will ruin my sleep, and as a consequence of this I will wake up on Monday morning feeling groggy and listless.

Because I feel groggy and listless all Monday, nothing seems to go right. It's not until I get home in the afternoon that I finally stop feeling like someone clobbered me over the head the night before. It's not the actual work, that's fine. It's just Monday! There is something about Mondays!

No comments: