Wednesday, April 7, 2010

You poor ball!

I feel sorry for inanimate objects. I pity them and worry about them as though they were human beings.

We lost a ball on the ice this weekend. The dog dropped it down an ice fishing hole and since it was made of hard rubber it sank like a stone before we could get a chance to fish it up.

I fretted, not so much over the loss of the ball, although that was a bit sad too, but more for the ball itself sinking down the icy water down to the dark, murky bottom. I imagined that the ball could hear us as we left the ice that day, abandoning it there, dooming it to a life of being assaulted and mauled by fishes. Some big pike will probably make it his bitch. My imagination is not only overactive, but also slightly warped.

Then the other day as I was walking across a bridge, I looked down into the water and saw this old bike on the bottom of the lake. The water was dark, murky and uninviting with chunks of ice in it. I imagined, as I always do whenever I see a really crappy, rundown or vandalized bike or car, about how it must have looked when it was brand new. Somebody must have cared for it once. Once upon a time it was a cherished possession. Now it's just garbage on the bottom of a lake.

Then I think about when we're born, and how we're all innocent and pure and unknowing of what life will throw us. I've even found myself feeling sorry for people who have committed horrible crimes, because I find myself picturing them when they were infants and toddlers. Even serial killers were babies once.

Anyway, I think I'm a bit nuts, attributing human emotions to inanimate objects. Feeling sorry for things when I take them to the garbage room and leave them there. Making sure that my stuffed animals are comfortable on the bed before I leave for work. I also make sure that they are all included at time bed, so that no one has to sleep on the floor. The bed is like a menagerie. It gets cramped at times, but at least no one has to feel left out.

I also pity cars that have been stripped for parts or/and set on fire.

Maybe I'm not nuts, but just plain childish. Perhaps it's a combination of the two.

So you can see why the thought of that ball on the bottom of that lake haunts me.

4 comments:

canadianne said...

"Making sure that my stuffed animals are comfortable on the bed before I leave for work."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how endearingly strange you are!

i guess you must be projecting your own feelings of abandonment or loss of innocence on these objects...seems to be a theme here anyway

i wonder now if you're a bit of a hoarder..or can you throw stuff away?

Linda said...

Yeah you have a point, and no I'm not a hoarder. I used to be but not anymore. Nick is a hoarder galore, so one of us has to be more practical one.

M-L said...

Jag har ju alltid tyckt synd om lägenheter och hus man flyttat ifrån. En känsla av att överge för att det inte duger längre. ;-) Så jag är väl rätt knäpp jag också. Än sen då!

Linda said...

Ja jag brukar också tycka synd om lägenheter och hus. Till exempel om man flyttar eller åker bort, då känns det som om lägenheten kommer att sakna en. Vi är knäppa men det underlättar bara.