Thursday, April 8, 2010

A little bit of Carrie


I love Carrie in King of Queens. She's my hero. She's assertive but manages to be so in a sassy way. Whenever I get confronted or mad I either keep my mouth shut and stew on the inside, or totally erupt. There's no in between with me. I want the kind of spunk and sass that Carrie has. One of my favourite Carrie moments is when she and Doug had a bunch of Russian carpenters working on the house who took forever finishing the job, but they weren't able to complain about it because then the carpenters didn't show up at all. So they had to keep the quiet. Finally when the job was done, Carrie got to lay down the law. The way she did it was marvelous.

"Who the hell do you people think you are? I want you all to know that if I see any of you walking down the street and I am in my car I will run you down, okay. And just when you think it's over I'm gonna put it in reverse, I'm gonna back over you, okay. Then I'm gonna get out of the car... and that's where the real whoopass begins. "

Yes, Carrie can be extreme, but I love how she's not afraid of confrontations and how she stands up for herself. I wish that when someone butts ahead of me in line, I have the guts to point with my thumb and go: "Hey buddy, the line starts over there!" But I don't do that. Usually I'm too stunned to say anything. Sometimes I do say something, it depends on the person who butt in line. If it's someone who looks like an axe murderer, I'll keep my mouth shut but continue to brood about it.

The problem is that I'm so conflicted as to how to behave. My instincts always tell me to let people have it when they're rude, to insult them, but in my mind I know I should be above it and not stoop to their level. Then there is the soft part in me who worries about hurting people's feelings. So what is the answer? Wouldn't it be better if we were all a lot nicer to each other? But no, we can't let people treat us like doormats, but on the other hand why should I let them get to me when I know they're the one's that are in the wrong? This is me. Constantly in conflict with myself as to how to behave. I'm really a peace loving person and don't go out of my way to create arguments, but if you confront me I will retaliate. I suppose it all depends on which mood you catch me in.

No comments: