Sunday, February 28, 2010

Comic book nerd


Yes, I readily admit to being a bit of a comic book nerd, but only the classics such as the old Donald Duck, Goofy, Archie, High and Lois, Beetle Bailey, Hagar the Horrible, Garfield and an old Swedish cartoon named Lilla Fridolf (Little Fridolf). Oh, and let's not forget the old Scooby Doo comic books that I used to get delightfully scared of when I was a child. All of those ghosts that kept appearing wherever they went. Delightful!

The word old keeps appearing here and I'm only on my fourth sentence. I think it's safe to say that I only like vintage comic books, not current ones. Even though a lot of the old comic books are still in production, they're just not the same as they used be. For one thing the graphics have changed, they've become too precise.

Secondly, it's only natural that sooner or later the creative fountain will run dry after a character has been around half a century. There are only so many things that can happen to a character in a comic before the writers start to run out of material.

I always loved Donald Duck, but I never liked the object of his affection, Daisy. She always rubbed me the wrong way me with her abnormally long eyelashes, her gigantic high-heeled shoes and that large bow on the middle of her head. She was often rather crabby and sulky too.

Donald Duck however is still my ultimate favourite. He's so wonderfully flawed, the way he vacillates between cheerfulness and determination to irritation or outrage when things don't go his way. Despite my annoyance at Daisy, my favourite comic strip was always when she at Donald got romantic, and the illustrators had used a lot of soft colours such as pink, purple and midnight blue.

No comments: