Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Please...

...no more talk of the winter Olympics. It makes me even more 'homesick'. Though I don't really care about sports, it's still a major event and I would have liked to have been back there by now. People keep saying to me: 'Imagine if you were there right now!' and 'Too bad you're not there, I'd come to stay with you for the Olympics!'
I mentioned to somebody that I would have liked to have seen the figure skating competitions live, and she laughed at it. Is it strange that the only sport I enjoy watching is figure skating? Well, I somewhat enjoy alpine skiing because I'm amazed at the speed with which these people throw themselves down the mountain. It's almost hypnotic to watch.
I've never really understood the passion that some people have for sports. Unless you personally know somebody on the team, how interesting can it be? It's just a bunch of strangers playing sports. Also, it bugs me how sports always seems to take precedence over everything else. They preempt other programs to show sports, and that's only the half of it.

Anyway, I got sidetracked. The real point is that I really miss Vancouver and I was supposed to be there right now to enjoy the excitement of the Olympics, and the fact that I'm not is depressing. I was there for when they announced that Vancouver was going to be the host of the winter Olympics in 2010. I was on the Skytrain, and suddenly the announcement came out on the speaker system. The funny part was that barely no one reacted to the news. I heard a faint clapping from somewhere on the train, but that was it. It was early in the morning and everybody was on their way to work, so that might have had something to do with it.

I should wear a sign. 'Please don't mention the Olympics to me!'

No comments: