Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I'm being stalked!

By fat cells. They lie in wait, ready to pounce the minute I eat something rich in carbs or fat, and distribute themselves evenly on my sides. There they hang out and gloat victoriously until I make an honest effort to escape them. This requires some heavy duty cardio workouts and a real decrease in calories. This means not eating potato chips, no chocolate and less bread, or bravely forcing down bread that resembles cardboard and that takes so long to eat that I get sick of chewing.
I can work out regularly and eat semi-healthy food, and not lose weight, but the minute I treat myself to something there they are, those pesky fat cells, attacking mercilessly. Sometimes I think they mock me. "HA! Yeah you can keep on working out and eating healthy but the moment you let something greasy touch your lips you can bet your ass we'll be right here waiting!" We have a song, my fat cells and I, and it's that Richard Marx song. "Wherever you are, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you". Change the "I" to "we" and you got it. That's our special song.
You can't escape genetics and previous diet. I have the same body as my mother and both my grandmothers. Rather slim legs, thin ankles and a small frame but the tendency to be pudgy around the stomach. Like middle aged truck drivers who spend their lives behind the steering wheel and live on hamburgers and fries from greasy diners and never exercise. I exercise and try to take care of myself but I know that I will never ever be able to really fight genetics, nor the million fat cells that I probably acquired during my younger days when I couldn't care less about counting calories and thought exercise was for jocks. The only exercise I got was walking to the gas station to buy candy, and even then it was at a leisurely pace. I could easily scarf down a pizza with extra cheese and top it off with a big chocolate bar. No problem. Now that metabolism is catching up to me, I'm paying the price.
Well I will never let them win! Never! I will fight them if it's the last thing I do!

1 comment:

canadianne said...

haaahahaha! Richard Marx song!! I think that's my and my fat cell's theme song too. It's really very difficult to lose weight. I've talked to myself so many times and told myself not to eat those carbs or treat myself to a small piece of chocolate, but a woman's got to live! When you're back here, we'll fight our stalkers together my comrade. Hit the gym and walk uphill. Grunt! Grunt!