Sunday, May 2, 2010

Spring disorientation

I haven't been keeping up with my blogging, nor writing my book, due to being busy, but also because I always get quite confused and disoriented this time of year. It's as if my mind is in need of a good spring cleaning to shake the cobwebs out. This happens every year. I'm all over the place, literally and mentally. I like being busy, but as always when I am forced to be social beyond what's normal for me, I start to get scattered. I have problems focusing and I get edgy. I simply need time by myself to function semi-normally. Once a lone wolf, always a lone wolf.

Last night was the evening of my junior high school reunion. I went with no expectations whatsoever, and was neither disappointed nor pleasantly surprised. As expected, the old cliques immediately formed, after the initial obligatory 'Hi, so good to see you!' and hugs were over with. It's odd, I never hugged any of my classmates when we were in school together, but now everybody hugged. Now we're adults, and adults do the mature thing, the perfunctory thing.
It's natural that we should gather in the same cliques as back then. Because if you have a history with someone, it's natural that you would gravitate towards them, rather than the people that you barely knew. Although in a way, we all have a history together don't we. We saw each other 5 days a week for 9 years. We probably influenced each other a lot more than we realize. Even if we weren't all friends, we were undeniably a part of each others childhood, since we were all thrust together in the same classroom and forced to grow up side by side.
In a way, most of what goes on in reunions is a little bit fake. Come on, you can't be happy to see everybody. There must be some people that you haven't given a second thought during the past 20 years since graduation. The only real difference between the past us and the present us is that we've become civilized and we know that we have to perform certain social customs. When we were kids we still hadn't succumbed to the pressures of social etiquette. We weren't expected to be nice to people we didn't like. If someone was a geek it was alright to ignore that person. As adults you have to be be nice to the geeks too. It's expected of you.
The lines between jocks and geeks become blurred as we mature into adults, however I don't think they are ever completely erased when everyone gets together for reunions. I think everyone, to some extent, fall into their roles, their old groups. This is quite natural. I would rather talk to the people I was friends with, since it's with them that I share memories of past events.

No comments: